General Meeting Minutes – July 8, 2015

JULY 8, 2015
Joyce Weir, Secretary

The Laurel Senior Friendship Club met on July 8, 2015, at the Laurel-Beltsville Senior Activity Center. Vice President Dominic Giachino opened the meeting at 10:30 am. Chaplain Pauline Pivowar offered a prayer. We followed with the Pledge of Allegiance; and our Choir sang “America the Beautiful”, “Cruising Down the River”, and “Climb Every Mountain”.

Dominic announced Beltsville Young at Heart is having a Crab Feast Trip on September 24th. If any of our members are interested, they should call Shirley Denell at 301-937- 5342.

Our treasurer, Betty Mannas, sent her report to the meeting. Attendance was 100 individuals. Shirley Denell and Phyllis Ross were our greeters.

Carol Kosydar, Chair of the Helping Hands Committee, reported they sent 40 cards, made 27 calls, made 12 visits to hospitals and nursing homes, and attended one viewing and funeral service during June. She thanked everyone for the donations she uses in the gift baskets.

Wanda Bell, Travel Committee Chair, told us the train trip to New Freedom, PA is definitely on schedule. However, it needs four more people. The Pennsylvania Grand Canyon trip is also definitely on schedule with 35 people so far. Future
trips are the Rainbow theater, the cruise in October, and the Sight & Sound theater in November. The Elvis at 70 raffle ticket was won by Carol Kosydar.

Gail Johnson has already delivered several boxes of our food donations to LARS. She thanked us for the additional items we brought today. Gail will continue this project through August. She asked us to remember to bring something each month.

The raffle of “Esther’s Treasures” brought in $70. The 50/50 raffle resulted in $56 for the Treasurer and $28 each to Barbara Brent and Helen Rushing.

Dominic introduced Donna Peterson, docent historian, from the Dr. Mudd museum. Arriving in a beautiful period costume, she told us how John Wilkes Booth arrived at Dr. Mudd’s home at four in the morning with a broken leg. Since there was no TV, internet, facebook or twitter in those days, the doctor had no idea what happened to President Lincoln. He set Booth’s leg and allowed him to rest. When he went into town he discovered what happened. He was tried with
seven other people. All of them were found guilty; and he avoided the death penalty by only one vote. Four were hanged and four were given life in prison. In those days, justice was provided very quickly. The assassination was in April; and the sentences were carried out in July. (A lot of this has been in the newspaper recently because of the 150th anniversary of the assassination and hangings.) Dr. Mudd was sent to the Dry Tortuga prison off of Key West where he spent time working in wood. He had always been good at carpentry and made items such as a jewelry box for his wife. The jewelry box is on exhibit at the museum. His care of victims in the Yellow Fever epidemic was also valuable. His
sentence was reduced; and after serving three years, he was released and returned to Maryland. We are invited to visit the museum. It is open from March through November and the first week of December. In December they have a special Christmas program where we can “see history and eat at the same time”.

Dominic adjourned the meeting at 11:50 am. jvw


Comments are closed.